Join Adrift Lab
Honours, Masters, PhD students, and Post-doctoral Fellows who wish to join Adrift Lab are encouraged to contact us using the link above. We are passionate about diversity and inclusion, and encourage applications from people of all identities and backgrounds.
Specific projects are often available here in Australia, or overseas, with data, samples, and/or funding already in-hand.
For example, we are currently seeking applicants for 3 PhD and various Hon/MSc projects:
- PhD - Community attitudes & debris
- PhD - Single-use plastics biodegradability (applications closed 12 Feb 2021)
- PhD - Inflammatory response to ingested plastics in seabirds
- Honours/MSc projects are advertised here and updated regularly
Alternatively, you’re welcome to propose a different project based on your own expertise, interest, or location of prospective co-supervisors and/or funding. To see examples of the types of student projects that have been supported by Adrift Lab, click on the Current Students or Alumni tabs above.
Please make sure to include the following in your email:
- CV that clearly outlines your qualifications
- Cover letter that explains your interests (eg. are you applying for an advertised project, or proposing one yourself)
- Piece of relevant, recent, scientific writing that showcases your abilities. If you are including a journal article as your piece of writing (very important for PhD-level applicants), and you are not the first author, please detail in your cover letter what your contributions to this paper were.
Adrift Lab is primarily based at the Institute for Marine & Antarctic Studies (IMAS) in Tasmania. Students are very occasionally based interstate or overseas.